Monday, June 11, 2012

Something Old, Something New

It's that time of the week again, where I share a couple of my favourite pieces.  Let's begin with Something Old: Faure's requiem.  Some interesting facts about French composer Gabriel Faure (1845-1924) 1. he founded the Societe Nationale de Musique to support young French composers 2. he is often described as being a quiet introverted person, however, he fell in love with a Marianne, married a Marie, and spent the last years of his life with Marguerite.  A bit of a ladies man! (with a fetish for women with the prefix: Mar-  in their name).  The piece I'd like to share of his is his Requiem.  Don't worry, not all of it!  The movement that really affects me is the Pie Jesu.  I'm not a hugely religious person but this piece really touches me and the word "pie" is the vocative of the word "pius" which means dutiful, godly, faithful or kind.  This is the one I listen to, by the King's College.


Pie Jesu Domine,
dona eis requiem. (repeat 2x)
Kind Lord Jesus,
grant them rest.
Pie Jesu Domine,
dona eis requiem sempiternam.   
Kind Lord Jesus,
grant them everlasting rest.



There is nothing quite like a boy soprano.  My heart just stills at the clarity of the voice, no messy vibrato like female sopranos.  I have always thought about having this at my wedding, but maybe the meaning of the words are a bit more about death..
Still, it is so divine.



And now for something completely different, Something New: "Soul and Fire" from the album "Bubble and Scrape" by Sebadoh.  I think it hooks me in the very first 10 seconds! It starts off with quite an up-beat tempo and then languidly slows into something else.  The lyrics are also interesting; I listened to a couple of others on the same album but they weren't nearly as capturing.  I hope you enjoy it!  I couldn't find a good link on YouTube, all the videos are live 'recordings' and aren't very clear.  I found it on Spotify though (if you don't have it you really should) and I shared it through Spotify onto my twitter feed.  So either follow me on twitter (@NickyGtree), get Spotify, or even buy the track for only $1.69 on iTunes!
Happy Monday Happy Listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment