Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Book review

I have been thinking about making a book review a regular thing on my blog; but that means I'd have a deadline for getting through books and that always seems to turn me off reading. I began this year with my Mum lending me her pretend Kindle (i.e: Kobo) and it was loaded with all these free "classic" books.  I started in the A's, and am admittedly still in the A's..

Image from here
The latest book I've finished is Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I was intrigued from the beginning with the extreme detail of description put into the characters' personalities and mannerisms. It's set in really old Russia, before it was communist, and throughout the book you can see Tolstoy using particular characters to comment on the political situation of the time (it was published between 1873 and 77). However, having said this, I need a greater understanding of politics in order to get the full value of this book. There were some areas where Tolstoy would go into depth about Russian elections, or the state of farming in rural Russia and peasant conditions, which ended up making the book a struggle to get through. I felt these underlying political additions and comments didn't integrate well enough with the plot and the story. It is a really mammoth book; it took a while for me to get through it and almost became rather predictable towards the end in terms of the love-story plot. I won't give anything away, but if you have time and patience I still recommend reading it. I would love to learn Russian and experience it in it's original language. I can definitely see why it is labeled a classic.

What do you think about a more regular book review? Does this interest you? What are your thoughts on Anna Karenina? I'd love to hear other views and experiences. I am by no means a literary expert..


No comments:

Post a Comment