Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Something Old, Something New

This week I'm getting a bit more dramatic with my choices for Something Old, Something New.

Starting with the classical first, as per usual: today we have Death and the Maiden, the String Quartet No.14 by Schubert. Schubert is one of my absolute favourite composers with his knack for making melodies that make my heart want to sing (a particularly special one coming in a later post of Something Old Something New). This quartet was composed in 1824 while he was suffering through a serious illness (syphilis) and facing death. The quartet is actually named after the second movement, but today I'd like to share with you the first movement. I love listening to this movement with my big headphones walking very purposefully through a busy street towards an important appointment. I listen to a recording by the Emerson Quartet, but here is the recording of the Takacs Quartet on YouTube with quite a suitable picture for the video.
If you have time you should definitely listen to the other movements. In some quartets I find there can be a dud movement: one which doesn't catch my attention or hold me in a trance, but this quartet is all gold.

Now for Something New this week we have Montezuma, from the album Helplessness Blues by Fleet Foxes. I adore Fleet Foxes and have 2 of their albums and love them both. They have quite an interesting choir sort of effect. I don't have much to say about this song, just go and listen to it!

This animation is really beautifully and painstakingly done.

I hope you're spurred on and inspired to do something on this Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment