Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Something Old, Something New

Time has just been escaping me this week. Plane delays back home to Sydney, jetting off to Brisbane the day after..  along with a full schedule of rehearsals and concerts. So I know I haven't been blogging but sometimes one has to prioritise.

Something Old this week is the piece that I'm playing with the Australian Youth Orchestra in Brisbane, conducted by Simone Young. "Eine Alpensinfonie" (An Alpine Symphony) is a tone poem written by Richard Strauss in 1915. It is amazing how pictorial the piece is: the storm scene is the best I've ever heard and the feeling I get in the big brass moments is irreplaceable. Apparently it was originally called "The Antichrist" and it comments on the political conditions of Germany post-war. You should really set aside the time to listen to it. If I had to play in one orchestral piece the rest of my life this would be the one I'd choose. It's being broadcast on ABC Classic FM Australia (92.9 in Sydney) at 10am on Sunday 29th of July.


Now it's been really tough trying to find a version of the Something New I'd like to feature this week. It's U2's "Running to Stand Still" from the Joshua Tree album. The song loses it's completely calm feeling when it's played live and recorded from the crowd (I'm sure it's a totally different kettle of fish when you're in the crowd having the experience). So all I could find on YouTube (that works in Germany) were the live performances and so here is this:
I also don't like it when lyrics are rolling on the screen.. but let's not be fussy. I haven't actually watched this video because it doesn't work in Germany and I started this post a week ago or so... It looks like it would just be the song from the original recording playing. Let me know if it works for you and what you think! It's one of U2's lesser known songs. I love the country feeling of the twanging guitar through the introduction.

I hope you have a listen and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment