Monday, September 17, 2012

Something Old, Something New

My Monday this week was spent in the car driving back from Canberra alone. Good and engaging music on long car trips is really important. Unfortunately I don't have one of those things that connects your iPod/Phone into the speakers and plays all my great playlists. So I was left with my overly classical CD collection. Today I listened to: Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances, Mahler's Symphonies No.1 and No.7 and Strauss Eine Alpensinfonie (see this old post) as well as today's Something Old of course, see below.

Something Old this week is a piece we all hopefully know: Also Sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss, or that song from Space Odyssey.. I have had to listen to parts of this piece for my music history subject at uni and was pleasantly surprised by the rest of the piece. It's really good! Lovely string writing and obviously great brass bits. The blurb that goes with this particular video on YouTube is very informative, so I won't give you any info here, you can just go there and read it while listening =)


Something New this week should be space themed.. but right at this moment I haven't been able to think of anything. This is the closest I've been able to come: a song that I shazam-ed twice in one day! It's The XX by Angels. Maybe the vocals are a bit spacey, and the effects feel a little celestial; the instrumental opening in particular makes me imagine myself in an astronaut suit.. But really, in the words of my flatmate, this is an angsty song! I think it's really beautiful.


Now I wonder: does it still get called a road trip when you're doing it alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment