Monday, November 26, 2012

Something Old, Something New

This week, well today in fact, I sat my last uni exam ever. Hopefully.. I was studying for Music in Modern Times which, I have to say, doesn't have the most aesthetically pleasing set work list. But there are some lovely things! You may remember a little while ago I was into Arvo Pärt, which was in my set list (actually I still kind of am into Arvo Pärt). Today I revisited Messiaen's Quatour pour la fin du temps (Quartet for the End of Time) and I remembered how beautiful one of the movements is. This is why I fall for cellists: the sound of the cello is just amazing and this movement really showcases that. It gets a bit intense for a while but please keep an open mind because when it resolves it is such an amazing *sigh* moment.

I'm not entirely sure who this is playing it.. but whatevs, you get the gist!!

Now that wasn't that old, it was written around 1940 or so. But here is something that's right here and now! I'm not sure how well it matches with Messiaen, as each week I try to share things that make me feel the same/or similar ways. I also try not to repeat bands but Alt-J (triangle) is seriously awesome and maybe it's a bit of an acquired taste, but that means you should listen to it more and grow to love it! I have been a bit addicted to this song lately.. I hope you enjoy it too!

Also, the video clip is weird....

No comments:

Post a Comment