Saturday, December 8, 2012

Something Old, Something New


This week's Something Old is a cheerful little movement from the piano trio by Anton Arensky. I find it a little repetitive.. but I still enjoy the ricochet lightness of bowing and playful character. As per usual, the YouTube videos for classical music that isn't incredibly famous can be hard to find, so this is the best I could get! I'm not sure why this movement just popped into my head today.. I love when the cello comes in after about a minute. I wish I could play cello!

Something New doesn't correlate at all with Something Old, but in the same way that Arensky's trio popped into my head randomly, this song did too. There are lovely memories associated with this song for me; I went to Splendour in the Grass last year with my friend Katherine who wanted to go see this band: Seeker Lover Keeper. The person who formed the band, Sarah Blasko, has such an amazing voice and she found Sally Seltmann and Holly Throsby who also have interesting qualities in their voices to form this group (by the way they are all Australian; Australian pride!). It's interesting to see how their voices blend and throughout their whole self-titled album how each voice is featured or supporting. Some of the songs are not to my liking and the vocals are a bit rough (I feel like some of it is just a bit too out of tune!) but this one was one that Katherine made me listen to as we road-tripped up to Queensland and I was quite hooked by it. It's not surprising that this is quite a girly band; lots of girl fans. So the fond memory associated with this song for me is when we heard it live and we were near the front of the stage and a tall guy was singing along (very loudly) to the entirety of the song! Have a listen and you'll see why it's funny, and maybe the name of the song gives you a clue: "Even Though I'm A Woman".


No comments:

Post a Comment