Thursday, January 3, 2013

Book Review

This is the second post of this kind, the first being here, and I'm a little ashamed of how little I read. Anyway, it's something I'm working on so hopefully this becomes a bit more of a regular segment.

Image from here.

In lieu of the movie coming in May of this year I decided to pick up the book The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I read it in a speedy couple of days whilst relaxing in the country over Christmas. I had pretty high expectations because of all the talk it garners, and I have to say it pretty much lived up to them. I love books with really great character building; it's ok if the plot doesn't have secret little twists and turns if the characters are described in that special way some writers can make possible. Fitzgerald really sets the scene in this way as well and sort of makes me wish I was living in New York in the 20's (although obviously I'm extremely grateful I don't and that I'm here in this era). Anyway, I won't give it away, but I will urge you to read it before the movie is released! It won't take you long and I'm one of those people who believes that reading the book before seeing the movie is the right thing to do.

So having said that.. I guess I should give Les Mis a go before seeing the movie?


No comments:

Post a Comment