Saturday, July 18, 2015

Recipe: Capsicum Dip

Here's a recipe that was a popular request at my birthday/going away party this year, lets call it Capsicum Dip. It actually comes from a bigger recipe for a pie with a "red pepper sauce" that I got from an ex-boyfriends' mum. Because of this I only have a photocopy of the page of a book where this recipe comes from and sadly don't know where to give due credit (although I deduce that it's American because of the use of the word "pepper" instead of "capsicum"). The pie is called "vegetable and pesto pie" but I thought that lacked creativity so I named it Antipasto Pie (not sue I named it but that's what it's been called for years). The perfect dish for vegetarians! Right now though I'll just share with you the recipe for the accompanying red pepper sauce. It can be used as a dip and is really flavourful and a beautiful vibrant colour.

Ingredients. I'm dabbling in watercolour and pen illustration. It's very hard not to smudge the pen with the watercolours though.. What do you think? Do you need clearer ingredients?

1.  Melt the butter in a pan. Add onion and capsicum and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft.
2.  Add flour and stir for about a minute.
3.  Remove from the heat and gradually stir in combined stock and cream.
4.  Return to the heat and stir until the mixture boils and thickens. (The thicker the better, especially if you want to use it as a dip).
5.  Blend or process sauce until smooth. (I used a bamix for this and it did the job perfectly).
6.  Strain, cool, cover and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment