Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Tunesday

Some mellow sounds for today from the New Zealand artist Hollie Fullbrook and her friends under the name of Tiny Ruins. I’ve been a fan of them since I heard one of their songs on fib radio years ago and looked them up. I bought their album Little Notes which was released in 2010 and since then they’ve released three more, the latest of which is titled Brightly Painted One. My favourite track is Chainmail Maker, which I’m sharing with you today. 



The only videos I could find on YouTube were from live concerts and have too much ambient sound.. so here is a video I found of Tiny Ruin doing a radio interview with a station in Perth. Listen at 14’16” to hear Chainmail Maker; or listen to all of it! The other song they play live in the studio on the video is Me At The Museum, You In The Wintergardens and is also very lovely.



I don’t fully understand this trend in folk music where it’s ok to play a bit out of tune. It sometimes ticks me off, more so in the radio video above than when I listen to the studio-recording song. The B string on her guitar is just a bit too far off tune for me. The studio-recording (which you can find on Spotify or here on bandcamp) is still out of tune so it’s clearly an effect. I guess it does create some kind of unsettling mood.. I don’t want to be a full on classical music snob. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment